I know there have been some comments saying that we need sin preached. But not MAN'S words, GOD'S words. And to that I say AMEN! BUT, would you be willing to ACCEPT what God says about these things if you heard it? I'm just going to put a bunch of Bible verses with the word meanings after the words. The other day I said that drinking is the only thing ever mentioned, but I think they talk about adultery every once in a while too. Sorry, but I'm one of those people that sits in church waiting for it to get over, only half listening. It's hard to keep my attention when it's the same person saying the same thing over and over. (And over and over and over.) That right there is one reason why I love having more than one preacher. Another reason? The spot in the Bible that talks about people all having different gifts. (1 Corinthians 12:8-31) And if you still want another reason, it's 'cause when you've had one person forever and ever and then the congregation decides to have other people preach once in a while and then the next sermon that comes along is full of "I don't have a problem with other people preaching, but.." and "I don't have a problem with you wanting to listen to others, but..." and it's like the song that has no end and it goes on and on my friend... until you think; "If he doesn't care then why does he need to keep saying that he doesn't care?? Because if he DIDN'T care he wouldn't be talking about it!" *EDIT* I must add in here after I think about this more, that I'm sorry, but a guy loses a lot of ground with me when he drags the annual meeting into his sermons. For one thing, I wasn't even AT the annual meeting, so to begin with I had no idea what he was even talking about or why or anything else. And also, I don't think that something that happened at an annual meeting should have anything to do with your sermon. *End Edit*
And one last opinion of mine: paid preachers are chickens. Why? Because they don't wanna piss off the people who write out their paycheck. I ain't gonna say that there are no preachers who are paid that mention sin. There probably are... SOMEWHERE. Just none of the ones I've ever heard. And now you have my permission to get mad at me if you want to, not that you need it. :D
By the way, my study Bible is published by Thomas Nelson, so when I'm randomly talking about Tom, please remember that he's my Study Bible. ;) LOL! (*EDIT* And when I got lazy I just put a T. :D) And I'm getting my definitions from Dictionary.com. I'd LOVE to have an 1828 Noah Webster around, 'cause I know that dictionary has TONS of Biblical definitions. But actually, I'm surprised at some of the ones Dictionary.com has, 'cause ya know... you're supposed to be P.C. all the time. *rolls eyes*
So here's Galatians 5:19-6:10
Now the works of the flesh (the body, especially as distinguished from the spirit or soul: The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.) are manifest (readily perceived by the eye or the understanding; evident; obvious; apparent; plain), which are these; adultery (voluntary sexual intercourse between a married person and someone other than his or her lawful spouse.),
fornication (voluntary sexual intercourse between two unmarried persons or two persons not married to each other.),
uncleanness (morally impure; evil; vile: unclean thoughts. {Tom says that it means sexual impurity}),
lasciviousness (1. inclined to lustfulness; wanton; lewd: a lascivious, girl-chasing old man. 2. arousing sexual desire: lascivious photographs -Would that perhaps describe pornography??- 3. indicating sexual interest or expressive of lust or lewdness: a lascivious gesture.),
idolatry (1. the religious worship of idols. 2. excessive or blind adoration, reverence, devotion, etc. -Tom says "Idolatry is not just the worship of graven images, but putting one's chief affections on any object OR PERSON instead of on God),
witchcraft (the art or practices of a witch; sorcery; magic - and it also says; the art or power of bringing magical or preternatural power to bear or the act or practice of attempting to do so - Tom says it also includes dabbling in the occult.),
hatred (the feeling of one who hates; intense dislike or extreme aversion or hostility. -And not only that, but 1 John 3:15 says; Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.),
variance (SIGH! Have I ever mentioned that I hate it when dictionaries define an anomalous word with another one -or more than one!- that's just as anomalous as the stinkin' word you were looking up?! So here's the definition: an instance of varying; difference; discrepancy),
emulations (effort or desire to equal or excel others -or jealousy),
wrath (1. strong, stern, or fierce anger; deeply resentful indignation; ire. 2. vengeance or punishment as the consequence of anger),
strife (1. vigorous or bitter conflict, discord, or antagonism 2. a quarrel, struggle, or clash 3. competition or rivalry),
seditions ('incitement of discontent or rebellion against a government' is what D.com says but Tom says it means dissensions which means: 1. strong disagreement; a contention or quarrel; discord 2. difference in sentiment or opinion; disagreement),
heresies (1. opinion or doctrine at variance with the orthodox or accepted doctrine, especially of a church or religious system 2. the maintaining of such an opinion or doctrine -so basically, it means the same thing as variance & seditions right? Or am I weird? Wait. Don't answer that question! :p),
envyings (a feeling of discontent or covetousness with regard to another's advantages, success, possessions, etc),
murders (the killing of another human being under conditions specifically covered in law. In the U.S., special statutory definitions include murder committed with malice aforethought, characterized by deliberation or premeditation or occurring during the commission of another serious crime, as robbery or arson (first-degree murder), and murder by intent but without deliberation or premeditation (second-degree murder)- And as I already quoted... 1 John says that hatred is as bad as murder too.),
drunkenness (1. intoxicated with or as if with alcohol 2. frequently or habitually drunk 3. caused by or relating to alcoholic intoxication),
revellings (1. to make merry; indulge in boisterous festivities 2. boisterous merrymaking or festivity; revelry 3. Often, revels. an occasion of merrymaking or noisy festivity with dancing, masking, etc c.1300, "riotous merry-making," from O.Fr. revel , from reveler "be disorderly, make merry," from L. rebellare "to rebel" . The verb meaning "to feast in a noisy manner" is first recorded early 14c. The meaning "take great pleasure in" first recorded 1754.),
and such like: of the which I have told you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do these things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love (1. a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person. 2. a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend. 3. affectionate concern for the well-being of others. 4. the benevolent affection of God for His creatures, or the reverent affection due from them to God. -Tom says: Love is the willing, sacrificial giving of oneself for the benefit of another without the thought of return. And in 1 John 4:18 it says that there is no fear on love and that perfect love casts out fear.),
joy (1. the emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying; keen pleasure; elation. 2. a source or cause of keen pleasure or delight; something or someone greatly valued or appreciated -Gladness of heart.),
peace (1. the normal, nonwarring condition of a nation, group of nations, or the world 2. a state of mutual harmony between people or groups, especially in personal relations 3. cessation of or freedom from any strife or dissension 4. freedom of the mind from annoyance, distraction, anxiety, an obsession, etc.; tranquillity; serenity 5. silence; stillness),
long-suffering (enduring injury, trouble, or provocation long and patiently -Tom says; Long-suffering is patience with others, the opposite of a short temper, a disposition quietly bearing injury. {Sorry to say, but if you didn't know this one yet... I have a few issues in the long-suffering department! *sigh*}),
gentleness (kindly; amiable -not severe rough or violent, mild),
goodness (1. the state or quality of being good 2. moral excellence; virtue -And Tom also said generosity),
faith (1. confidence or trust in a person or thing 2. belief that is not based on proof 3. belief in
God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion 4. Christian Theology . the trust in God and in His promises as made through Christ and the Scriptures by which humans are justified or saved.),
meekness (HMPF. Dictionary.com says the definition of meek that means: "gentle; kind" is the 'obsolete' meaning. I don't think so! And then it also says; humbly patient or docile, as under provocation from others),
temperance (1. moderation or self-restraint in action, statement, etc.; self-control. 2. habitual moderation in the indulgence of a natural appetite or passion, especially in the use of alcoholic liquors. 3. total abstinence from alcoholic liquors. -I myself find it interesting that people who stick up for the other versions of the Bible so staunchly have changed this word to just plain ol' self control and nothing else. Because, while one meaning of temperance IS self control, there is NO meaning of self control that means temperance!): against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh (T; 'At conversion every believer crucified the flesh, that is, in repentance he turned from and denounced his life of sin and all its wicked passions.') with it's affections (fond attachment, devotion, or love) and lusts (a passionate or overmastering desire or craving). If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. (T; "Since the spirit gave us new life at conversion, we then should stay in step with His leading and promptings throughout life.") Let us not be desirious (having or characterized by desire; desiring) of vain (ineffectual or unsuccessful; futile) glory, provoking (causing annoyance to)one another, envying (already said this. Being jealous of.) one another. Bretheran, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such a one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. (T: "The sin in view is a deliberate overstepping of divine boundaries. 'Ye which are spritual' means those in whom the fruit of the Spirit is found.The spiritual bretheren are supposed to restore the erring brother.This word is used of mending fishing nets and of people mending their ways. Restore therefore means to bring a person back to his former moral condition. The word was also used in secular Greek for setting broken bones, which has to be done gently. So the church is supposed to restore the fallen one with gentleness. The grevious and sensitive wounds caused by sin must be handled delicately. Those restoring the fallen must individually keep constant watch over their own lives. The spiritual man can be morally dragged down as he deals with the sins of his carnal counterpart.) Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself. (When a man thinks himself to be morally above reproach, he has no sympathy for the flaws of others. Mutual bearing of anothers burdens helps a person retain a sober, ethical estimation of himself. *WHY are HE's and MAN's and HIS's gender neutral?? Makes it sound like women are perfect! *SNORT*)But let every man prove his own work, and then shall he have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another. For every man shall bear his own burden. (Joy doesn't come from comparing your moral strengths with the weaknesses of other people, but when you realize that you measure up to God's standard by HIS help. {That was me paraphrasing Tom.}) Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things. Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. (This spot goes along with BY THEIR FRUITS YE SHALL KNOW THEM. And that's written twice in 4 verses. John 7:16 & John 7:20) And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not. (He's talkin' the good kind of reaping. Not the bad kind. Don't reap the bad stuff. That's bad. So if you don't wanna reap bad stuff, start sowing good stuff!) As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith. (Amen.)
That was interesting! :D
Wow! I'm not the only one who uses a dictionary when reading the bible!!! I'm still wondering how many parents have looked up the word 'train', as in "Train up a child in the way he should go...........". I am convinced that if more people actually pulled out a dictionary when they read the scriptures, as opposed to forming some vague definition in their heads, we would actually hear SIN named and preached and there would be a LOT more training happening.
ReplyDeleteGlenda
I agree with the paid preacher stuff-hey they have a job to keep so therefore must please the people!
ReplyDelete