Happy International You Suck Because You Aren’t As Blessed As The Rest Of Us Day! Otherwise known as Bereaved Mother’s Day. First off, I wanna know why we have to have a separate day to bawl and weep over our dead kids? How come we got segregated to a different day from the regular festivities. Isn’t it kind of a step back from progress if the goal is to break the silence? I feel like it is. All this does is keep us shut up on the wonderful iconic Mother’s Day we always dreamed about having. It’s a placebo for the real thing, to pat us on the collective heads and be like, “Here you wretch. Get away from our day of celebration and go cry by yourself in a corner on your OWN day.”
Why not just stubbornly keep Mother’s Day as Mother’s Day even if we don’t have any or all of our kids with us instead of backing down? Why not break the silence by breaking the silence instead of keeping it silent and moving off to another day with an ugly word in the title? I hate the word bereaved. It’s ugly. It’s like grief. They both sit there like gremlins in the dictionary waiting to pounce on people and make them use other ugly words like “difficult” to describe them. Why not stand and proclaim from the rooftops that we are still Mother’s even if society doesn’t like it? Who gives a crap what society thinks? We’re already not going with the flow of societal thinking because we haven’t moved on after 3 weeks.
Having dead kids is ugly enough without creating an ugly day to blatantly shove our faces in the fact that we are different from everybody else. We already feel it every year, why punish us more? I refuse to be classified and labeled more than I already am. Just freaking give me a hug and cry with me on Mother’s Day. And I’ll enjoy my bittersweet day with my kids and maybe visit my others at the cemetery. Because I’m a mother. That is all.
No comments:
Post a Comment