This feeling overwhelms me some days when I'm up in the air, twelve feet off the ground readjusting the pipes so they are even and aren't angled stupidly. It flitted across my mind as I covered myself in dead bugs and bird parts while blowing out the radiator with an air hose. It niggles the back of my brain as I'm laying across the top of the motor with my feet on the radiator and my face crammed under the firewall wrenching on an air hose.
There are a couple things he didn't know when he signed up for a lifetime with his skinny little assistant mechanic though. He wasn't aware that if he snarkily asked me to bring him that lumber tarp over there that I would. He wasn't aware then that he should never tell me to tighten a bolt as tight as I can unless he's sure it won't break. He didn't know I could tighten bungees as good as any beefy old farmer out there when tarping a load of hay. He hadn't learned yet to step back and not attempt to help me when I'm standing the four foot side box upright.
These things make me grin as I lay across the open space between the APU and fuel tank with my head propped on a rivet on the back of the sleeper with my arm crammed in the little opening at the back underside of the headache rack to put the washer and nut on the bolt for the APU's cooler. I smirk as I squint my eyes shut to keep them free of the mud, dead bees, and grease flying at me from the wind the air ratchet blasts out when putting the side box back on. I smile as I sit with my head mashed into the drive shaft peeking around a hose so I can smash my fingers holding a wrench while he bolts the new headache rack in. I laugh as I fill my face with grease while installing the new air leveler valve under the fifth wheel plate.
And I guffaw inwardly when he looks at me sheepishly as I mutter loud enough for him to hear, with my head next to the air tank while finding a leak, "You married me on purpose didn't you?!"
No comments:
Post a Comment