Ok. A long time ago, dear reader, we established that I was weird. We also established that I was unconventional. Everyone knows I ain't normal but most people also know that the apple doesn't fall that far from the tree (unfortunately, lots of times for others. [and me]). As much as I can't stand how my dad acts these days I find myself preaching, usually at the top of my lungs, about the same stuff I used to get sick of him talking about, to every Sam, Bill and Dwight that he could get a hold of. For example, I always read certain spots in the Bible with great emphasis. Like, "If any one of you be overtaken in a fault, YE WHICH ARE SPIRITUAL, restore such an one in the spirit of MEEK-ness..." Hear the inflection? The other day I popped in a sermon tape of his from Chassell and there he was reading that text with the exact same emPHAsis on the same sylLABles.
I also find myself ranting often at how people are screeching all across the country over the sad state of affairs in DC and the country at large. I begin expounding on the fact that what you do in the church is reflected on your government. You wanna sit and scream and point fingers at the "other side"? You got it in the government. You wanna covet and steal and lie an cheat under pseudonyms of holier sounding names? You got it in undisguised terms in the government. You wanna rape and have incest and commit adultery and fornication? You get it in the government in all manner of forms. You wanna label and smear people's ideals and intentions? You got it in spades in the government. And once more off I go sounding like dad. On and on and on and on, on one subject giving you 14,000 examples so you have no mistake of what I'm implying. You wanna have crooked stupid politics in the church? Government's got it. Get the picture yet?? And by the way, before you clutch your wig in indignation, I ain't particularly talking about one church specifically, but all of them that call themselves Christian in general 'cause they're ALL to blame.
My dad was rather disliked for his uncanny ability to be told gossip on someone and head straight to the person and ask them about it. You know how many times I've been griped at for doing that??! More'n I can count. Not that I tried counting, but that's beside the point. We won't mention the times when I heard crap people have said about me and then asked them point blank about it... Those times always make me LOL when I think back in them... Just some of the things people have tried saying in defense of themselves... I could write a book. Or maybe a blog.
I unfortunately inherited my dad's family's temper also. Altho my fuse is perhaps 6 inches longer than he family's, I have still been known to erupt at very little provocation. And sometimes not erupt until the whole keg is ready to blow, but that's a different story for some stormy night in winter when I feel chilled. Gotta keep those stories for when you need warming from the inside out and your blood pressure is low.
Oh yes. I mentioned missionaries didn't I? I got one question. I may have even asked it before on here, but I want to know this; why don't we have all kinds of random missions and outreaches in our own American cities like we have in all the exotic places?? Like in Chicago, NYC, LA, Orlando (which by the way has the highest rate of suicide in the US) and San Diego, just to name a few? Or perhaps theres not that much glory in taking money and going to help people who are less than 5,000 miles away from you? Not sure, but every time I bring up the question, people shout at me to head out, while they write a check for India. Now before you jump on the "Ronda Hates Foreign Countries" bandwagon, shut your mouth and reread what I said. I never DID say to not go to these random countries. I just wanna know whatever happened to preaching to our own countrymen. Which leads me back to where I started with every one screeching about the deplorable state of our nation.
Huh. I wonder what's wrong with all these heathens. Hasn't anybody ever TAUGHT them anything??!
I agree!!! You are your father's daughter and he was right about many things. I love your ability to face gossip head on and I love how you take the bible for what it says rather than interpreting it into something more comfortable.
ReplyDeleteAnd on missions at home, AMEN!!! I'm all for foreign missions, as you well know, but unless we are up to our elbows, doing all we can here at home, there is no point in thinking we will be effective just because we go across the world
Keep on preaching!!!!
Ronda, I totally agree with you, and we need more fiery outspoken ranters like you and your Da to make people think! Thanks for being you> Iknew your Dad a long time ago!
ReplyDeleteI agree =)
ReplyDelete